How Sports Teams Are Handling COVID-19 Restrictions

Sterling Hills, Online Editor

2020 has kept athletes wondering whether or not they will have the chance to participate in their season. It has been especially concerning for seniors as this may be their last opportunity to play at a high school level. 

Both boys and girls ultimate frisbee were cut off early last spring before any outdoor games could even be played. The team is allowed to practice this fall while taking some measures to prevent any spread of disease. To the disappointment of players, scrimmaging has been cancelled. Exercises where distance between players can be implemented are still allowed. Coaches wear masks during practice and are careful to disinfect the frisbees after practice. The team has taken many preventative measures, and some players are still choosing to wear a mask during practice.

“I was nervous that my senior season was cancelled and that all the work I had been putting in over quarantine had gone to waste, so when I found out it wasn’t cancelled I was very excited and wanted to start right away before they changed their minds.”

— Alex Catrine, 12

Other teams, such as boys soccer, have fewer setbacks. The only major changes they faced were a shorter season, conference-only games and no overtime during the regular season. Despite these challenges, the team has had a successful season. After playing eight games, they ranked number five in a conference of nine. Alex Catrine, 12, was glad to have the option to play. “With 13 out of 22 players this year being seniors, a lot of us were relieved when the MSHSL and the governor said we were cleared to play,” Catrine said.  After a tie game on Tuesday against Irondale, Mounds View is not eligible for conference playoffs. However, they still have section playoffs to look forward to with their first game on October 14.  

Mounds View sports teams are making the best of their seasons and adapting to the limitations during COVID-19. Teams hope to give those who will be graduating a fulfilling last hurrah to their high school sports careers.