The Viewer

Trump must be stopped

Top Candidates Disappoint: Donald Trump

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump must be stopped

Jake Rosenow, staff reporter

The United States has a long history of controversial presidential elections, but this election has given a whole new meaning to controversy. Well-known businessman Donald Trump, currently the leading Republican candidate, has established a reputation as an outspoken bully.

Choosing Trump as the Republican nominee will only lead to bigger problems and disharmony within the Republican party and the American population. Republicans must look for alternative options like Ohio Governor John Kasich if they hope to nominate a viable presidential candidate.

In contrast to Kasich, who has promoted himself as a positive candidate, Trump has repeatedly abused the media spotlight he’s received by making disparaging comments about fellow opponents. For example, rather than criticizing Republican politician Carly Fiorina’s political views, Trump targeted her appearance.

“Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that?” he asked.

Trump’s frequent outbursts are not only unprofessional, but also provide fuel for his opponents, weakening the Republican cause. For example, Vermont senator Bernie Sanders was able to easily use Trump’s comments about illegal immigrants to mock him.

“Somebody like a Trump comes along and says: ‘I know the answers! The answer is that all of the Mexicans, they’re criminals and rapists. We gotta hate the Mexicans, those are your enemies. We hate all the Muslims, because all the Muslims are terrorists’,” Sanders said.

Trump’s rhetoric also lacks common sense. He has argued in favor of building a wall on the Mexican-American border. This unreasonable plan wouldn’t even fix the immigration problem. In the past, walls such as the Berlin Wall failed to prevent people from crossing. Even if the proposed wall could stop the flow of illegal immigrants into the U.S, it wouldn’t solve the problems that arise from the many illegal immigrants already living in the country.

In contrast, Kasich is a candidate that has proved to be moderate and experienced. His experience as the Ohio governor for over six years and a senator for four years has given him the skills to govern a large group of people. Kasich also demonstrated leadership by opposing a budget proposal and and refusing a pay raise when he was a senator.

When Trump first declared his intent for president, many saw his campaign as a joke. However, after winning the New Hampshire and South Carolina primaries by a landslide— receiving 35 percent of total votes in New Hampshire and 32.5 percent in South Carolina—there is no doubt that Trump’s campaign is on the path to victory.

If voters don’t quickly switch to a moderate candidate like John Kasich, the Republican party may be forced to support an unfit nominee.