The Viewer

Clinton isn’t the answer

Top Candidates Disappoint: Hillary Clinton

Kevin Sabeti-Oseid and Furqan Syed

With the Democratic race gaining steam, media outlets have portrayed Hillary Clinton as the inevitable winner of the nomination. While Clinton is lauded as a progressive, we must look at the ways she’s sold out to banks, oppressed people of color, and easily changed her stances to follow the popular view. Democrats should look for other candidates like Bernie Sanders if they want to elect a sincere candidate in November.

Recently, Sanders has gained publicity with his political mantra of fighting for economic equality. Clinton tried to follow suit by portraying herself as a president who would tear down big banks. In an op-ed she wrote last year, she stated, “As president, I would not only veto any legislation that would weaken financial reform, but I would also fight for tough new rules, stronger enforcement and more accountability.”

These statements are hypocritical for a candidate who, along with her husband, earned over $7.7 million in speaker fees from banks like Goldman Sachs. In 2008, Clinton voted for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, which authorized the government to spend $700 million to bail out big banks. Her ties to Wall Street reveal her to be a complete hypocrite when it comes to the issue of oppressive capitalism.

Some claim that the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) PAC endorsement of Clinton demonstrates that she is the only sincere advocate for black people. In reality, the CBC’s endorsement doesn’t truly reflect any leadership for expanding rights for people of color. In fact, CBC member Keith Ellison tweeted that the decision to endorse Clinton was never even voted on. It’s also important to note that Hillary Clinton supported Barry Goldwater in the 1964 presidential election, a candidate who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

In contrast to Clinton, Bernie Sanders has actually been fighting for black rights. Along with his focus today on issues like Black Lives Matter and institutional oppression, Sanders has been challenging racism since college. When he was aware that his university was refusing to rent off-campus buildings to black people, Sanders helped lead a sit-in at the administration building that prompted the university president to form a commission to study the school’s housing policies.

It is also important to take note of the Clintons’ lobbying to expand the war on drugs and mass incarceration, two things that systemically oppress people of color. These are policies that continue today, sometimes called the New Jim Crow. They have led to people of color being disproportionately arrested for drug use while white people, who have statistically been proven to use at similar amounts, are often only given probation.

With all of these flaws in consideration, it’s clear that Clinton isn’t the hero she is portrayed to be. If the Democratic Party wants to truly elect a nominee with experience for combating social problems, they must question if Hillary Clinton truly has the presidential qualities to do it.