Girls’ Tennis Smashes Competition at Baseline

Youngjun Park, Gallery Editor

For the sixth consecutive year, the Mounds View Girls’ tennis team has smashed its way through the sections and qualified for the state tournament, which took place this week at Baseline Tennis Center.

In the first round, they faced Rochester Century, losing 1-6. However, in the consolation bracket, the team triumphed over Elk River High School with an overwhelming score of 6-1. The team’s season came to an end after its defeat against Stillwater Area High School.

In addition to a good showing on the team’s part, Summer Brills, 11, won the class 2A state championship after defeating Sophia Reddy of Edina. It was Brills’s second three-hour match of the day.

Despite not winning the state title, the players affirm that they have had a successful season. “I think that we did well at state. We all worked really hard this season and it paid off,” said Mandy Huang, 12.

With this positive attitude, the graduating seniors leave with confidence believing that the following year, the team will be able to out-perform this year’s and continue the team’s legacy.  “The returning players are all really good and will continue to improve, so I think they’ll do just fine. I wish them the best!” said Huang.