Morgan Dahl – MV Runners

Jordan Counihan, Business Manager

Picture001
In the past few years, the cross country team has seen an influx of talented middle school runners making the trek from Chippewa Middle School to train with the team in hopes of someday making the leaderboard. One of these young athletes is Morgan Dahl, 8, who has recently begun outrunning her much older competition.

Dahl decided to join cross country after running for the track team last spring. “I had a really fun experience in track, and I [just] like running,” said Dahl. “I like running because you are able to run whenever you want, and when I cross the finish line at the end of a race, it makes me feel very happy and accomplished.”

At Conference, Dahl placed second overall, a feat most seniors only hope to reach.

“In the last few races, I [also] placed third and 11th,” said Dahl.

She had expected to place third in her most recent race, a 5k, as well, until she pulled off a last minute twist. “I passed the girl in front of me with about 200 meters to go. It was my best time ever, at 18:46.”

With that time, Dahl blows away much of the older competition, who average around 20 minutes. Many senior girls work their entire high school careers to get times Dahl has reached with one year of training.

Dahl’s accomplishments impress many of the upperclassmen. “She’s really hardworking, and when presented by a challenge, she takes it on,” said captain Kitone Johnson.

The future is bright for young Dahl. The team, including her coaches and captains, is rooting for her.

“I think she will be a really successful runner,” said captain Grace Ebert, 12. “She has improved a lot, even just in this season.”

The team looks forward to seeing what the future holds for Morgan Dahl.

This article is part of a pair of Issue 3 sports features. Read about the other featured cross country runner, Alex Plasencia, here.