Community spreads support for Evan Kirkland

On Feb. 16, many Mounds View students began reposting Instagram posts about a GoFundMe fundraiser for senior Evan Kirkland, who, on Jan. 30, suffered a tonic-clonic seizure, also known as a grand mal seizure. 

Upon reaching the St. John’s Hospital emergency room after his seizure, doctors discovered Evan had a 105-degree fever and brain swelling. He also had three extremely rare blood infections, viral and bacterial meningitis and encephalitis. “[Evan is] very disciplined when it comes to his health in general, which is why this was such a scary shock,” senior Noah Hammet-Divine, one of Kirkland’s close friends and teammates, said. Under these conditions, Evan will be unable to return to school in person for the remainder of his senior year. 

Evan is known as a talented athlete, among the top in the state for hurdles. He likes weightlifting and running track, but he must take a break until he’s recovered and will miss the spring season. Even with this setback, he is determined to get back to doing what he loves once he recovers. 

Evan had to take medication to reduce brain swelling and had to have a PICC line surgically implanted. Insurance could not cover the medical costs that he and his family faced, such as six IVs per day, home health care, his hospital stay and multiple doctor appointments per week. Evan’s single mother, Michelle Kirkland, could not cover these costs on her own, which prompted family friend Glenda Vizecky to organize the GoFundMe fundraiser.

Helping her son through recovery has been no easy task for Michelle Kirkland. Having to administer IVs every six hours, including at midnight, has caused her to lose sleep. Hammet-Divine describes her as “an inspiration of a human being” because of her dedication to her family. “It is insane. She’s a crazy person in a good way and it shows the love that a person who raises you has,” he said.

As of March 2, the fundraiser met its goal of $50 thousand with 481 donations. “We feel extremely grateful for the love and support, and how our community has rallied around Evan and carried him through this hard time. We cannot thank everyone enough,” said Michelle Kirkland.

“It’s really actually just a very good feeling about the Mounds View community as a whole, and about all of this connection throughout the world. I guess that we have so many people who all just shared it, shared it, shared it, gave it like five, ten bucks and just kept it going around,” Hammet-Divine said.

Evan’s condition has now improved. He had his PICC line removed on Feb. 27 and no longer needs IV antibiotics. This lets both he and his mother return to full nights of sleep after 28 days of IVs. “Although Evan still has a way to go on his recovery journey, we are grateful for every step, large or small in the right direction. He continues to amaze me with this strength and determination,” Michelle Kirkland said on a GoFundMe update.

Evan’s GoFundMe

Join the conversation
About the Contributor
Lale Akkin
Lale Akkin, Staff Reporter
Lale is a sophomore staff reporter, and this year is her first year on The Viewer. Awards: Best of SNO - Community spreads support for Evan Kirkland Best of SNO - The teacher shortage crisis
$10
$1000

Comments (0)

Comments are meant to convey student opinion and foster discussion on stories. Therefore, comments are expected to be respectful and constructive. Use of profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, or false accusations will not be tolerated, and not printed. The Mounds View Viewer reserves the right to moderate comments before they go online. As such, commentators are required to use their real name and supply a email address. Your email address will not printed; it is only needed for verification purposes.
All The Viewer Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *