The Nystrom siblings dominate Mounds View sports

Meet the Nystrom family

Throughout their athletic careers, the Nystrom family has achieved success in various sports. Summer Nystrom, a former Division 1 swimmer at Clemson University, and Dan Nystrom, once a Division 1 kicker for the Minnesota Gophers, are the parents of senior Tyler, sophomore Ivy, freshman Molly and 8th grader Cali Nystrom, who are also all competitive athletes. Cali, attending Chippewa Middle School, has participated in track and field and basketball. While she may not have achieved as much success in sports as her older siblings yet, she continues to engage in sports influenced by her siblings’ encouragement to be competitive. 

Although the parents are no longer actively playing their sports, they remain active; Summer occasionally swims in their pool at home, and Dan is currently the kicking coach for the Mounds View football team. Both parents have instilled a love for sports in their children, encouraging them to pursue athletics.

Tyler Nystrom plays football for Mounds View
Tyler Nystrom, D1 football commit

Tyler began playing football — his favorite sport — and basketball in the second grade. Tyler works hard during the offseason, and because of this, he’s become the top receiver at Mounds View. “I played seven on seven [for] an AAU football league; I’ve done training for speed and individual football training,” said Tyler. “I’ve been All-Conference during the football season; I’ve broken the single-season receiving record and the overall receptions as a Mounds View player.” His teammates nominated him as one of the captains for the football team this season because of his leadership qualities and regard for others by assisting the younger players in their development. Alongside nominations, Tyler has earned offers to play D1 football from Western Illinois University, The University of Saint Thomas, The University of Minnesota and the University of Wyoming. He intends to play football at the University of Wyoming, where he has already committed.

PHOTO VIA Tyler Nystrom
Ivy Nystrom kicks soccer ball
Ivy Nystrom, soccer and track star

Ivy, the second oldest, has participated in track and field, basketball and soccer — her favorite sport. “I’m glad that I kept with my multiple sports and not just soccer because it helps you keep in shape with other sports,” said Ivy. She began playing soccer at age five, and since then, she has played for Boreal FC, a local soccer club. Ivy played varsity soccer since her freshman year and took third place in Sections this year. Because of her commitment to soccer and her leadership abilities, she will be captain of the girls soccer team as a junior next season. Furthermore, she has been All-Conference and All-Section in track and field in the 400, 4×400 and 4×200 while also making the state track meet in 8th and 9th grade. 

PHOTO VIA Ivy Nystrom
Molly Nystrom in soccer uniform
Molly Nystrom, taking after her sister

Molly participates in track and field and soccer. Similar to her sister, Molly has also made varsity for track and field since 7th grade, participating in high jump, long jump, and triple jump, and she has made All-Conference and All-Section.

PHOTO VIA Ivy Nystrom
About the Contributor
Tonie Torboh
Tonie Torboh, Staff Reporter
Tonie is a junior staff reporter, and this year is his first year on The Viewer.
Donate to The Viewer
$10
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal