Alternate Halloween Activities

Josephine Fenske, Staff Reporter

Despite the unexpected pandemic and social unrest that has rocked 2020, students are looking forward to some form of normalcy by celebrating Halloween. Luckily, festivities can still be held with a few twists to stay safe by following CDC guidelines.  

The CDC advises that gatherings be held outdoors, with fewer participants and for a short window of time. They also recommend certain equipment and practices to protect oneself and others, such as face masks and frequent hand sanitizing. However, do not worry, this will not impede on the fun of Halloween.

One classic Halloween activity students can still participate in is a bonfire. Bonfires are held outside anyway, making them compliant with CDC guidelines, but social distancing will have to be added to the plans. There can still be traditions like marshmallow roasting and ghost stories, just from farther apart.

In addition to a bonfire, a wide variety of Halloween get-togethers can be held outside. Students can set up craft stations, with each chair six feet apart and carve or paint pumpkins. Another fun outdoor activity could be an outdoor viewing of a scary movie, which can be easily set up with a projector, screen and plenty of blankets to stay warm. No matter the specifics, there are plenty of options to celebrate Halloween safely while outdoors.

If students do not want to sit outside on a chilly Halloween evening, there is a way to have a movie night inside. The app Kast allows a group of people in different places to watch the same show while sharing each person’s camera and microphone. Using Kast, students can be in their own homes, safely distanced and have a classic scary movie night together. 

By following CDC guidelines, students can still have fun and safely enjoy traditional Halloween celebrations this year. Comment below any other ideas and be sure to tag the Viewer on any socially distant Halloween activity posts!