55°
Mounds View High School's student news site.

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

Freshman Linnea Ousdigian: National Nordic champion

On March 16th, Ousdigian placed first at the XC Junior Nationals held in Lake Placid, N.Y.
Linnea Ousdigian
Linnea Ousdigian pushes ahead in her race at Nationals.

Racing over the last hill, freshman Linnea Ousdigian is tied neck and neck with another competitor. It’s the final push before the course turns into flat land, and the finish line is just a couple hundred meters away. After placing 2nd and 10th in earlier races, Ousdigian is not satisfied with her results yet. Slowly, she breaks away from the other skiers, and the gap between them widens as she lets gravity pull her down the slope, finishing the race 0.12 seconds before the others. She makes history at Mounds View as the national champion for the U16 Junior Nationals mass start this year.

On March 16th, Ousdigian placed first at the XC Junior Nationals held in Lake Placid, N.Y. She’s been competing against the Midwest since middle school, but this was her first debut on the national level. 

Ousdigian has been skiing since she’s been walking. She comes from a family of skiers, but rather than skiing competitively, they taught her how to enjoy skiing as a fun activity. It was her brother who first started ski racing, which introduced her to competitive skiing, as she soon began to compete too. 

Already participating in cross country running, a sport she also continues to excel in today, Ousdigian became enamored with nordic racing. “There’s some people that like racing; there’s some people [who] like training. She seems to love all aspects of what it takes to be good at Nordic skiing, so it’s not a bore for her or a grind. It’s something that she enjoys, which is fun to, as a coach, to see someone have that success and have that mindset,” said Ian O’Neil, head coach of Mounds View’s Nordic team. 

As she competed over one thousand miles away from home with her club members, she was still supported back home in Minnesota by her high school coach and teammates. “I was following the whole time and was obviously very excited for her. I coached her in the high school setting, but they go together, like her success is super cool within the high school world and winning state is an amazing achievement,” said O’Neil.

Pulling ahead of the others through the race and getting first place wasn’t the outcome she expected. “I would say my goal was top five, but I was like, I’m just gonna go for it. Make everyone else hurt and see if I can hold on,” said Ousdigian.

The overall win has made Ousdigian more competitive as an athlete, and she hopes to make nationals once again during the next season of her nordic career. “I think it’s definitely made me motivated to keep working and keep trying to get better so I can win more,” said Ousdigian. 

Although this is her first introduction to the national stage, her growth and development will continue to rise as she participates as an all-around athlete at Mounds View.

Join the conversation
About the Contributor
Via Yang
Via Yang, Staff Reporter
Via is a junior staff reporter, and this year is her first year on The Viewer. Awards: Best of SNO - Freshman Linnea Ousdigian: National Nordic champion Best of SNO - Sports betting: Teens hit the “slots” Best of SNO - ALL1N the fight against cancer Best of SNO - Marit Swenson Shining Light Foundation raises awareness for childhood cancers
Donate to The Viewer
$10
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

Comments are meant to convey student opinion and foster discussion on stories. Therefore, comments are expected to be respectful and constructive. Use of profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, or false accusations will not be tolerated, and not printed. The Mounds View Viewer reserves the right to moderate comments before they go online. As such, commentators are required to use their real name and supply a email address. Your email address will not printed; it is only needed for verification purposes.
All The Viewer Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *