Best Songs of the Decade

Irene Lampredi, Staff Reporter

As the calendar creeps closer to the end of 2019, people will not only look back at this past year but these past ten years. Mounds View students and staff remember some of the best films and songs to close off this decade.

Music plays a big role in people’s lives and it can define a whole culture. As this decade comes to an end, Mounds View students and teachers have a wide range of opinions on the most listened to songs of the past 10 years. 

1. “Happy” – Pharrell Williams

This song, written, produced and performed by American singer Pharrell Williams, has been highly successful—peaking at No.1 in 24 countries. However, what many do not know is that it was originally released as the first and only single from the soundtrack album for the film “Despicable Me 2.”

1. “Fancy” – Iggy Azalea

This song by Australian rapper Iggy Azalea featuring British singer Charli XCX reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and was named as the biggest hit by a female rapper in history. It became a hit mostly due to the great production behind it and the outstanding chemistry between the two singers.

1. “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)” – Silentó

With a viral clip on YouTube, this song was particularly popular for its dance: easy moves that even the worst dancers would have fun dancing to. For this reason, Mounds View students like it and consider it a classic of this decade. The song peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100, where it spent six non-consecutive weeks but received mixed to negative reviews, being described as annoying and repetitive.

1. “Thrift Shop” – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

This song was not only praised by many music reviews and for its humorous lyrics and social critique, but also by Mounds View students for its catchy rhythm and happy vibes. Composed to show Macklemore’s esteem for thrift shopping and saving money, as opposed to looking for the most expensive items like many other rappers do, it reached number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 and has sold over 6 million copies in the US alone. 

1. “Tik Tok” – Kesha

This song can definitely be considered one of the most famous songs of the last ten years. In 2010, when it was released, it was the best-selling single worldwide, with 610,000 digital downloads in just one week, and it gave a huge boost to Kesha’s career. She recently performed the song at the 2019 AMAs reminding the kids what the real Tik Tok is and, known for her iconic glittery looks, she is soon going to launch her own makeup line. 

1. “Get Lucky” – Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers

“Get Lucky,” a disco song with lyrics about the good fortune of connecting with someone, received acclaim not only from critics but also from Mounds View students and teachers that described it as a catchy and rhythmed summer song. It reached the top ten in the music charts of over 32 countries and is one of the best-selling songs of all time. 

1. “Despacito” – Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee

This song by Puerto Rican singers Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee has been widely credited by music journalists for popularizing Spanish-language pop music in the mainstream market. Many students at Mounds View liked it because it is in a different language. His success was so great that the worldwide increase of Latin pop music consumption from 2017 onward has been referred to as “the Despacito effect.” However, what really made this song a hit was the remix version featuring Canadian singer Justin Bieber.

1. “Uptown Funk” – Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars

This song, made by British record producer Mark Ronson featuring American singer and songwriter Bruno Mars, had a great commercial success: it topped the charts of 19 countries and the Billboard Hot 100 for 14 weeks. However, “Uptown Funk” raised many controversies, both on the copyright’s point of view – resulting in multiple lawsuits and amendments to its songwriting credits—and among critics, since many of them praised the song’s instrumental, style and influences while many others criticized it for trying to emulate 1980s funk music. Mounds View students liked it mostly because of the good rhythm that makes it easy to dance to. 

1. “Call Me Maybe” – Carly Rae Jepsen

There is no better way to close this decade than with a nostalgic song that brings up your childhood memories. That is why Mounds View students loved (and still love) “Call Me Maybe.” Besides the two Grammys nominations, this song was named Song of the Year for 2012 by MTV and became the best selling single of the century by a female artist. Its success was not only determined by the catchy rhythm and the funny lyrics, but also by the iconic music video that got away from the idea of the classic “boy meets a girl” love story with an original plot twist in the end. 

1. “Hey, Soul Sister” – Train

Whether you are a teenager in high school, a Millennial in college or a working adult, there is no way you do not know this song. Written and recorded by American rock band Train, “Hey, Soul Sister” was the only rock song to land in the Billboard Hot 100’s top 10 this year and even though it was released in 2009, it was one of the biggest hits of 2010. The title is the literal translation of the French term for soul mate, (âme sœur) and is the ultimate favorite 2010s song by Mounds View students because it brings up their best childhood memories and puts them in a happy mood.