September Netflix Show Reviews

Hanzu Vu-Tran, Online Editor

It is no secret that Netflix loves to release a lot of new content each month which can be overwhelming. You can only repeatedly watch your favorite show so many times without getting bored, so the search for a new show begins. However, with the abundance of content released on the platform each month, it can be challenging to find that next show to watch.. To make the process easier, we put together a list of TV shows, films and documentaries that were added to Netflix in September that may be worth the watch. In the comments, make sure to let us know if you agree with our rankings!

labeled under fair use by Netflix
Fair Use via Netflix

“Away” follows main character Emma Green as she commands an international trip to Mars and leaves her family behind. Getting through this show was no easy task. More times than not, the episodes seemed to drag on aimlessly with the exception of those few moments of excitement. The show heavily relies on moments with minimal, if any, value to the plot to take up screen time. It did not help that the show is extremely unoriginal, making it very predictable. The show follows the format of  every other show directed at the teenage demographic; it features a group of people who go on an adventure together and it doesn’t go as planned. The show reminds me a lot of “Lost in Space,” another Netflix original in the same category with similar plotlines and characters. Due to the unoriginality of “Away” and its attempt to appeal to the teenage demographic, it landed on my Netflix recommended list. However, if you are looking for a show that involves mystery and space exploration Netflix offers “Nightflyers,” it offers more interesting stories and is more enjoyable to watch. “Away” is not terrible, but chances are you can find a more appealing and Netflix Original show to watch.  Ranking: 2.5/5

Fair Use via Netflix

“The Social Dilemma” is a Netflix Original documentary that brings in former executives of large social media companies and doctors to talk about the impact that social media has on daily life and how companies make their platforms so addictive. I think that this documentary is worth your time, especially with its increasing relevance in this social media age. The documentary dives into how social media platforms are designed, how the algorithm keeps you scrolling and how social media “hacks” into your brain programming. The documentary sheds some light into the technological industry. It presents the truth that many are quick to deny: the technological industry has taken over our time in a more unhealthy manner than not.  Ranking: 4.5/5

Licensed under fair use
Fair Use via IMBD

“Julie and the Phantoms” is a nine-episode series that follows struggling teenager Julie Molina as she attempts to hold on to her love for music after the death of her mother. The storyline picks up when she plays an old CD she found in her mom’s studio, and three members of a 1990s band appear as ghosts. With the help of the ghosts Luke, Reggie and Alex, Julie finds her voice and love for music again. This is a very wholesome, family-friendly show. The show is just the type of thing that you would expect from Kenny Ortega, director of “High School Musical and Descendants.” The show was very refreshing, and it was nice to see well-written and relatable characters. This show delivers real teenagers, with real teenage problems to navigate through and relatively realistic relationships. Ranking: 4.5/5

Fair Use via IMDB

After being amazed by the trailer, I was super excited to watch “Ratched.” This show follows nurse Mildred Ratched from when she starts working at Lucia State Hospital to when she becomes the monstrous nurse Ratched that people can recognize from the film and novel “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” This series has a decent plotline and enough horror elements to carry a thrill. I would not recommend this to people who are not comfortable watching the horror genre. In my opinion, the show is more focused on filling up the one-hour time slot, rather than delivering interesting storylines. If the show was just a few episodes shorter I do think it could have been a more interesting watch. If you have time to kill and enjoy horror, then consider watching “Ratched“; otherwise, I do not think this is the show for you. Ranking: 3.5/5

Fair Use via IMDB

“A Love Song for Latasha” details the story of Latasha Harlins, a 15-year-old girl in the 1990s who was shot dead and her killer never being put in prison. This is the most important and socially relevant piece on this list, and this is the one I would most recommend. It is a 20-minute documentary that fills you with a whirlwind of emotions. Even though much of what people know about Harlins was how her life ended, this documentary focused on celebrating the person she was. The narrator Shinese Harlins, Harlins’ cousin, does an amazing job of telling Harlins’ story and leaves you with an uneasy feeling knowing that something similar could still happen today. Ranking: 5/5

Fair Use via IMDB

“Enola Holmes” is a movie starring Millie Bobby Brown, Henry Cavil, Sam Claflin and other well-known British actors. It follows quick-witted Enola Holmes, the younger sister of Sherlock Holmes, as she embarks on a journey to find her mother who has left home. Along the way, she meets a runaway lord, Viscount Tewksbury, and together they unearth a plot against him. This movie is not phenomenal, but it is fun to watch. If you need something relaxing to watch on a weekend, this would be the perfect choice. Ranking: 3/5

Fair Use via NBC

Season four of “The Good Place” serves as the conclusion to the hit NBC show. This season played out in the way that one would expect, while delivering fantastic writing and great character arcs. Season four picks up right where season three left off and gives fans a satisfying conclusion to a much-beloved show. Time flew as I was watching this show, one minute I was starting the season and the next I had finished it. It was clear that this was the final destination of the story, and it was time for the show to come to a close. I would recommend this show to everyone, I think it is phenomenal and very enjoyable to watch. Ranking: 4/5

A benefit of Netflix releasing so much new content each month is that there is truly something for everyone anywhere from Netflix Originals to beloved classics. Unfortunately, that means almost nobody has the time to sit down and go through every single show. We hope that this list has given you some good recommendations for your new favorite show on Netflix.