Get To Know President Biden’s Cabinet

Marie Diffley, Staff Reporter

The importance of politics demands the attention of each American, including Mounds View students

With a new administration coming in during tumultuous times in American history, awareness with who will be running the country can prove to be crucial. There are a lot of opinions circulating in the media regarding the new administration, but it is important to take a step back and evaluate who is running the country based on their credentials and their intentions for their office. 

With the recent inauguration of Joe Biden on January 20, we turn our attention to his elected cabinet members to better understand his priorities as president. Below are the titles and names of his new members. The ones of most relevance to the students of Mounds View have a small description next to them.

Housing and Urban Development Secretary: Marcia Fudge

Representative Marcia Fudge has been an influential member of Congress. She is involved in many committees and is well known as “Ranking Member on the House Committee on Agriculture Subcommittee on Conservation and Forestry and a member on the Subcommittee on Nutrition,” stated in her Biography at fudge.house.gov. She was born in Cleveland, Ohio and has served in the state for thirty years.

Education Department Secretary: Miguel Cardona

Cardona began his career as a fourth grade teacher. He soon worked his way up to the youngest principal in the state of Connecticut at the age of 27. “Dr. Cardona served as the co-chairperson of the Connecticut Legislative Achievement Gap Task Force as well as co-chairperson of the Connecticut Birth to Grade Three Leaders Council. He also taught for four years as an adjunct professor at the University of Connecticut in the Department of Educational Leadership” (Connecticut State Department of Education). Cardona’s previous positions and knowledge in this field will help him to confidently lead the Education Department. Currently, Miguel Cardona has not been confirmed by the United States Senate and is only serving in an acting capacity. 

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director: Rochelle Walensky

Dr. Walensky serves as the chief of the Infectious Diseases Division at Massachusetts General Hospital. She has been an influential researcher for HIV and AIDS and is “one of the nation’s leading experts on virus testing, prevention and treatment, and has served on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic in Massachusetts” said the Massachusetts General Hospital website. 

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator: Michael S. Regan

Michel S. Regan is the first African American man to lead the EPA where he also worked as an environmental regulator for both former presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. His previous experience credits him with the knowledge and resources to be Agency Administrator. One of his main goals is to highlight environmental justice. Regan was influential in establishing North Carolina’s environmental justice and Equity Advisory Board.

Health and Human Services Secretary: Xavier Becerra

Xavier Becerra was attorney general of California where he was an important figure in crafting the health care policy. He is also a former Congress member where he was involved in health care adding to his experience. His experience will be needed when determining how the government will respond to the pandemic regarding the country’s health care.

The reviewed members seem to be chosen with great thought and research. A strong board will positively influence the causes Biden prioritizes. The strength of these members will soon be identified. It is very important not only to understand who is running our government, but also the lengths one must go to in order to create a powerful group of leaders.

Biden’s cabinet 

Secretary of State – Antony Blinken

Secretary of the Treasury – Dr. Janet Yellen

Secretary of Defense – General Lloyd Austin

Attorney General – Merrick Garland

Secretary of the Interior – Deb Haaland

Secretary of Agriculture – Tom Vilsack

Secretary of Commerce – Gina Raimondo

Secretary of Labor – Marty Walsh

Secretary of Health and Human Services – Xavier Becerra

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development – Marcia Fudge

Secretary of Transportation – Pete Buttigieg

Secretary of Energy – Jennifer Granholm

Secretary of Education – Dr. Miguel Cardona 

Secretary of Veteran Affairs – Denis McDonough

Secretary of Homeland Security – Alejandro Mayorkas

Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency – Michael Regan

Director of the Office of Management and Budget – Neera Tanden

Director of National Intelligence – Avril Haines

United States Trade Representative – Katherine Tai

United States Ambassador to the United Nations – Linda Thomas-Greenfield

Chair of the Council of Economic Address – Dr. Cecilia Rouse

Administrator of the Small Business Administration – Isabel Guzman

Presidential Science Advisor and Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy – Dr. Eric Lander

CHIEF OF STAFF – Ron Klain