48°
Mounds View High School's student news site.

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

New SRO gets into the groove

Andrea Giles replaces Abi Sachdev as Mounds View’s School Resource Officer.
Alex Bi
Giles poses in front of her squad car.

There’s a new face at the end of the lunch line here at Mounds View. At the end of October, a new school resource officer (SRO) joined Mounds View, replacing former SRO Abi Sachdev. This SRO, Andrea Giles, transferred here from Quora Education Center in Little Canada. 

Transferring from a smaller school like Quora to a larger school like Mounds View can be a stressful experience, but Giles sees it as an opportunity to get to know new people. 

With any transition, there are upsides and downsides. For Giles, “My favorite part about being at Mounds View, I would say [is] seeing all the students, trying to get to know students.”  Her least favorite? The traffic getting in and out of school — something many students and staff can relate to. 

Part of the reason she became an SRO was because she enjoyed working with kids. Before she decided to become a police officer, she worked at a children’s clinic, so she has experience working with younger people. 

I definitely can see how, for some students or some people, law enforcement interaction can be traumatizing.

— Andrea Giles, SRO

Giles wants to change the stigma surrounding law enforcement. “I’ve had negative interactions with law enforcement officers myself. So I definitely can see how, for some students or some people, law enforcement interaction can be traumatizing,” said Giles. 

In fact, Giles ultimately decided to become an SRO because she believes in the importance of building relationships between law enforcement and students.“The big thing is building the relationship, building the trust and just being a support for everyone here,” she said. Giles wants to be there for the students, and she wants students to feel comfortable around her. She hopes that being comfortable talking to her can translate to students building connections with law enforcement outside the school. 

She wants students to know that she’s not just an officer — she’s also a resource. “I also have a degree in counseling. So if someone needs to just come and talk to me, […] I am a really good listener.” 

The big thing is building the relationship, building the trust and just being a support for everyone here.

— Andrea Giles, SRO

Giles also plans to keep extra essential items in her office. “Once I get my office together, I usually keep extra clothes in my office [and] snacks, candy, things like that. […] I try to keep a lot of different resources — tampons, pads, things like that — in my office, so if someone needs it, I want to make sure I am able to provide it for them,” she said.

Looking ahead, Giles plans to go back to school to pursue a mental health license, which would complement her drug and alcohol counseling license. “Something I’m thinking about, actually, is [pursuing] something I can use in the school in my current role,” she said. 

Giles is actively working to dispel negative stereotypes surrounding law enforcement. Through her commitment to building trust, providing resources and fostering open communication, Giles aims to create a positive and supportive atmosphere for students.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Graham Hanson
Graham Hanson, Staff Reporter
Graham is a junior staff reporter, and this year is his first year on The Viewer.
Alex Bi
Alex Bi, Features Editor
Hello, I'm Alex, a brand new editor to The Viewer. I am the features editor for the 23-24 school year, and this is my second year with The Viewer. I enjoy skiing and watching anime, along with collecting model planes, trains, and buses. You can find me at [email protected] for any concerns or questions.
$10
$1000

Comments (2)

Comments are meant to convey student opinion and foster discussion on stories. Therefore, comments are expected to be respectful and constructive. Use of profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, or false accusations will not be tolerated, and not printed. The Mounds View Viewer reserves the right to moderate comments before they go online. As such, commentators are required to use their real name and supply a email address. Your email address will not printed; it is only needed for verification purposes.
Comments are Closed.
All The Viewer Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
  • G

Gavin LarsonDec 4, 2023 at 12:37 pm

what is this comments dialog? why are there 2 buttons in the same place for opening up this panel? what the heck is the captcha? what does selecting “All,” “The Viewer Picks,” “Reader Picks,” or “Sort: Newest” do????

sincerely,
    Yours Truly

• V

Viewer MVDec 5, 2023 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The weird captcha comes with our WordPress template — we’re not really sure what it does either, but it seems effective. The sorting options allow you to see comments that have been specifically chosen by Viewer staff/readers, and the “sort” option allows you to sort comments by oldest to newest and vice versa. Hope this helps!