53°
Mounds View High School's student news site.

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

Students to revive MV tradition

Juniors Grace Bury and Bria Mills plan to host Mounds View Powderpuff tournament this spring.

While sitting in U.S. History with Social Studies Teacher and Student Council Advisor Emily Daggett last year, current juniors Grace Bury and Bria Mills had the idea of reviving an old Mounds View tradition: Powderpuff football, an all-girls football game. 

Ever since I’ve been in high school, there hasn’t been [a Powderpuff game], and I [saw others doing it]; it looked like a fun event. So I said, ‘We should get this started back up again.’ […Ms. Daggett] said ‘You can plan it if you want it to happen,’” said Mills. Bury and Mills teamed up with student council in order to plan and host the event. 

The event is currently set at Mounds View on May 11 from 7-9 p.m. and aims to be a fun and casually competitive event. “I just think it [is] a fun thing for everybody to look forward to, especially in the spring because I know upperclassmen have prom, but freshmen and sophomores don’t have much […] in the spring,” said Mills. 

While, according to Mills, many schools don’t include underclassmen in Powderpuff, they decided to include everyone in order to make it a whole school event. “Originally, […we] were going to make it just juniors and seniors, and then, people could sign up with their friend group and there’d be a bunch of teams, but that just seemed a little cliquey to me,” said Mills. They’ve also decided to create teams based on grades, allowing many to participate who otherwise might not. The games are planned to be around 40 minutes long, with a bracket style pairing of freshmen against juniors and sophomores against seniors and the winners in a final. 

They also plan to involve groups of football players as team coaches and hopefully have a team of male students cheerleading for the event. Many students have already shown interest in participating in the event through the form on the powderpuff Instagram. They also plan to promote the event through the Morning Herd Announcements and posters in the coming weeks. 

Participating students are able to sell tickets to friends and family, supporting the Mounds View community. The tickets sell for a tentative one or two dollars. The organizers plan to be donated to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and Mounds View Girl’s sports. “We’re going to try to sell tickets to people,” said Bury. “So family can come and […] it’s more of a community thing.”

Bury and Mills plan to be involved in the games again next year and hope that it is a tradition that can continue. “I think it would be fun to do it next year,” said Bury. “I think a lot of people are interested in doing it, so it’ll be easy to carry it on.

Powderpuff at Mounds View plans to restart fun tradition that promises to create community and promote bonding. “I definitely think it [inspires] pride because it’s fun to have something where you really identify with your grade and graduation year,” said Mills. “I think it just brings your grade close together.”

Join the conversation
About the Contributor
Matthew Betti
Matthew Betti, Staff Reporter
Matthew is a sophomore staff reporter, and this year is his first year on The Viewer.
Donate to The Viewer
$10
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

Comments are meant to convey student opinion and foster discussion on stories. Therefore, comments are expected to be respectful and constructive. Use of profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, or false accusations will not be tolerated, and not printed. The Mounds View Viewer reserves the right to moderate comments before they go online. As such, commentators are required to use their real name and supply a email address. Your email address will not printed; it is only needed for verification purposes.
All The Viewer Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *