How COVID-19 Impacted Summer Jobs

Charlotte Lee

Charlotte Lee, 11, in her Target uniform.

Josie Mackenthun, Online Editor

This year, Covid-19 has not only put a damper on summer activities, but has also had a negative impact on employment. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the unemployment rate of people aged 16-19 in June 2019 was 12,700. This June, the unemployment rate for that group increased to 23,200. The BLS also released a summary in August that said, “Employment declines were particularly steep in leisure and hospitality, a sector that traditionally employs a large share of youth.” However, many Mounds View students have not expressed any employment issues.

“Contrary to the BLS national statistics, some Mounds View students have found opportunities in leisure and hospitality. “Demand for essential employees was so high,” Quinn Muller, 11, said. “The issue was just figuring out where to work…[Companies] seemed a little desperate, actually.” Following his interest in culinary arts, Muller decided to work as a server at a nursing home where regulations were strict. “[Covid-19 restrictions were] pretty annoying at first, especially since making mistakes had the potential to harm someone, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Everything has continued to loosen up so I just take it as it comes,” said Muller. Many jobs, such as Muller’s, continue to have many limitations in place to protect everyone involved from the spread of disease.

Though COVID-19 created many challenges, Muller found an unexpected benefit of companionship with residents. Families’ abilities to visit their loved ones was limited, which is especially hard for nursing home residents who have dementia. Muller said he and the other staff were the only people the residents could interact with during that time, something he enjoyed doing. “…Elderly individuals have lots of wisdom to share and things to say, and it’s been rewarding and interesting to hear and see so much from people that are partly ignored,” said Muller. One reason Muller chose to continue working at the nursing home during the school year is because of the bonds he made with many of the residents.

Similar to Muller, Charlotte Lee, 11, said there were plenty of jobs at Target. “I believe that there [were more than the usual amount of people working],” Lee said. “They did hire extra seasonal workers specifically for Covid.” Many stores such as Target and Walmart have in-store pickup options that grew more popular during Covid-19, so more employees have been hired to fulfill those pickup orders. 

Some restaurants are also seeing more takeout orders than prior to the spread of  Covid-19. Sophia Hamilton, 12, said the restaurant she works at is busier than before. Hamilton credits this to more people missing restaurants and wanting comfort food during these stressful times. No new hires were needed, but her hours increased when they opened back up after the restaurant closures in March. The closure meant she could not make money and was not able to claim unemployment.. 

Losing employment opportunities at restaurants and clothing stores was tough on many. However, essential businesses hiring extra help to handle the pandemic has helped some Mounds View students make it through these tough economic times largely unscathed.