57°
Mounds View High School's student news site.

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

[OPINION] Going to college is still worth it

Social media devalues the importance of college. Yet, influencers never mention the hardships that people will face without a college degree.
Lale Baylar
Every year, high schoolers face the dilemma of choosing a career path. Although social media has downplayed the importance of a college degree, it remains a necessity for climbing the social ladder.

After graduating high school, one might question going through another four years of school. Influencers on social media further feed into this hesitancy by emphasizing crushing student loan debt and by rambling on about how a college degree is not necessary and that all you have to do is “sit down and start the grind.” However, they omit the fact that the chance of success and wealth without a college degree is slim. Sure, schoolwork can be stressful and costly. But the long-term benefits of attending college can uplift a future career and set you apart from others. 

In 2023, according to the Education Data Initiative, to complete a bachelor’s degree, the average student borrows over $30,000. With studies showing that there’s a steady increase in college tuition, many students may think twice about attending college as it’s very likely they’ll end up with student debt. 

However, the job opportunities that await a student are much greater when they’ve received a college degree. A study from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that, in 2022, the median income of bachelor’s degree recipients was about 68% higher than those with only a high school diploma, which indicates that degrees can help pay back student debt as there are greater chances of a stable income and success in the future.

Furthermore, people with college degrees tend to be healthier as well. According to the College Board, in 2019, about 64% of college graduates have access to employer-sponsored insurance, while only 52% of people with high school diplomas did. This shows that in addition to higher chances of employment, college degrees can later aid in sustaining individual health and reducing the economic burden of medical bills.

With influencers pushing the idea that higher education is useless, students may be tempted into not attending college and trying to become successful on their own. But not attending college is a decision that students of high socioeconomic status and a few lucky individuals can make because they have financial help to fall back on. For lower-income students who are unable to take such risks, college is essential. It is a safer option that can provide opportunities to better their livelihoods and aid their future careers 

Some high schoolers may consider going to college an unappealing option, but getting accepted into college is life-changing for many. In general, from improving a person’s chance of receiving a well-paying job to health benefits, college provides a variety of benefits. While the process may seem strenuous, the outcome of a college degree will carry a person much farther in life.

Join the conversation
About the Contributors
Gloria Liu
Gloria Liu, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Gloria, and I'm the debates and sports editor for the Viewer! I'm currently a junior. In my free time, I love listening to music, photography and watching horror movies. I love being a part of the Viewer because it's a very unique class compared to other classes and also allows me to improve my writing skills. I love being with my peers and hope to inspire younger students to join the Viewer.
Lale Baylar
Lale Baylar, Opinions Editor
Hi! My name is Lale, and I'm the Opinions editor and illustrator for the The Viewer 2023-24. I like to draw & paint as well as watch thrillers in my free time. I also enjoy trying new restaurants or baking new recipes at home. I'm in MV's Orchestra, Mustang Mentors and love volunteering at Kinderberry Hills and the Bell Museum. You can reach me by email: [email protected] :)
$10
$1000

Comments (0)

Comments are meant to convey student opinion and foster discussion on stories. Therefore, comments are expected to be respectful and constructive. Use of profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, or false accusations will not be tolerated, and not printed. The Mounds View Viewer reserves the right to moderate comments before they go online. As such, commentators are required to use their real name and supply a email address. Your email address will not printed; it is only needed for verification purposes.
All The Viewer Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *