51°
Mounds View High School's student news site.

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

ALL1N the fight against cancer

After the death of Erica Bratland, mother of girls basketball player and wife of coach, the Mounds View Girls Basketball team has become dedicated to supporting struggling families in the community.
Gloria Liu
Players watch from the bench during cancer awareness night, which honored Elyse Leiser, a 4th-grade teacher at Turtle Lake Elementary.

The Mounds View Girls Basketball team faces other schools twice a week. From different outcomes of wins and losses, the players know the feeling of facing challenges and overcoming failures. From getting closer to their own teammates and committing themselves to supporting local cancer patients, the athletes are dedicated to giving back to the community that supports them.

Developed by the coaches, the “ALL 1N” program has characterized the team for three years now. The head coach, Dave Bratland, created the slogan “ALL 1N” to encourage the players to put their all into whatever they do.

While the original goal of the “ALL 1N” phrase encouraged and connected the staff and students, it soon became a fund after the passing of the wife of Dave Bratland and the mother of one of the players, Emma Bratland. After a diagnosis of metastatic colon cancer in 2020, Erica Bratland endured 58 chemo treatments, two radiation procedures and a multitude of surgeries up until this past summer, when she passed after her battle with cancer. 

Gloria Liu

“It’s kind of hard to go back into a sport right after your mom or anyone passed away,” said Emma Bratland, senior. 

But the team was there to support her, leaving hundreds of cards and words of support towards the family. “They were always checking up on me and they were always asking me to hang out with me to get my mind away from what happened,” said Emma Bratland.

While the coaches had always wanted to financially give back to the community, the passing of Erica Bratland pushed them to kickstart a fundraiser to help other families that were struggling with cancer. 

Over the summer, the team raised money with donations from multiple sponsors and fundraisers. For instance, the team held a huge t-shirt sale and bagged groceries at Kowalski’s. In the end, they raised over five thousand dollars before the basketball season began. 

On Dec. 9, the money raised was given to the Leiser family, who were close friends of Dave Bratland, after Elyse Leiser was diagnosed with breast cancer. 

The team hopes to continue raising money to support other families affected by a health crisis. Since the season began, the players have nearly doubled their original goal of five thousand dollars, and the team is already searching for more local families to help.

About the Contributors
Via Yang
Via Yang, Staff Reporter
Via is a junior staff reporter, and this year is her first year on The Viewer. Awards: Best of SNO - Freshman Linnea Ousdigian: National Nordic champion Best of SNO - Sports betting: Teens hit the “slots” Best of SNO - ALL1N the fight against cancer Best of SNO - Marit Swenson Shining Light Foundation raises awareness for childhood cancers
Gloria Liu
Gloria Liu, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Gloria, and I'm the debates and sports editor for the Viewer! I'm currently a junior. In my free time, I love listening to music, photography and watching horror movies. I love being a part of the Viewer because it's a very unique class compared to other classes and also allows me to improve my writing skills. I love being with my peers and hope to inspire younger students to join the Viewer.
Donate to The Viewer
$10
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal