Committed: Ean Deno to MSU – Moorhead

Senior athletes commit to college

Katrina Renacia, Features Editor

After going through the recruitment process for two years, Ean Deno, 12, committed to Minnesota State University, Moorhead in January, and signed a letter of intent on National Signing Day held Feb. 3.

A member of the varsity football squad since sophomore year, Deno attracted attention from colleges due to his strength, speed and determination.

While Deno also looked into Bemidji State University and Winona State University, he chose Moorhead because of the coaches, players and atmosphere. “The coaches are great at what they do and are amazing people as well,” said Deno. “Every time I talked to them they were the nicest people.”

Throughout the recruitment process, Deno stayed connected with coaches from multiple colleges. He received four to five emails a day from them talking about football and college. As a junior, Deno also received calls from his position coach in Moorhead asking him how he was, and his coach even went as far as visiting him at school three times in senior year.
While other schools reached out to Deno, Moorhead went beyond simple phone calls or emails, inviting Deno and his family to visit the school on a weekend. “We got to stay in a hotel for two nights paid for by the team,” he said. “After that Saturday I sat down with the coaches and let them know that I would be committing to play there next year.”