76°
Mounds View High School's student news site.

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

Theater director resigns

Van Bruggen to be replaced by married middle school ELA teachers.
New theater directors to replace Van Bruggen. VIA @danperuucco

On Friday, May 10, Mounds View’s theater director, Matthew Van Bruggen, announced in an email to theater families that he would not return for a third year as director.

According to Van Bruggen’s message, he decided not to return last October because he found it challenging to support the theater program while working full-time as the District Performance Facilities Manager.

Principal Robert Reetz confirmed that Van Bruggen informed him of his decision to resign in October.

Reetz explained how Van Bruggen intentionally waited to announce his resignation until after the spring musical Cinderella. “I did want him to be able to lead, and so it didn’t feel like the timing was right to announce before or during Cinderella,” he said.

In an email sent to theater families on Monday, May 13, it was announced that married couple Dan and Colin Perucco would both replace Van Bruggen. According to the email, Dan Perucco has taught English Language Arts (ELA) at Edgewood for ten years, and Colin Perucco has taught ELA at Highview for two years. “We’re looking forward to working together to direct this program. Theater has always been a passion of ours, and we are excited to put our skills to use at MVHS. Between us, we share 12 years of directing experience, 15 years of teaching experience, and a combined 55 years of theater and performing arts experience,” the email said.

“I am confident that the theater program will continue to thrive under the guidance of the talented and passionate staff and advisors who will follow,” said the May 10 message from Van Bruggen.

“I want to express my gratitude for your support and dedication. The memories of our productions, rehearsals, and the laughter shared will forever hold a special place in my heart. It has been an incredible experience,” he added.

Van Bruggen’s decision to resign comes after many theater students expressed their disapproval of his job leading Mounds View Theater and, as reported in issue 7 of The Viewer, the decisions made in casting the spring musical Cinderella.

Van Bruggen declined to comment to The Viewer.

Join the conversation
About the Contributor
Tyler Quattrin
Tyler Quattrin, Print Editor-in-Chief and Features Editor
Hello! I am thrilled to be a print Editor-in-Chief for my third year on The Viewer. Outside of The Viewer, I am a captain of the Mounds View Boys Swim and Dive team. Feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected]. Awards:  Best of SNO - Mounds View Theater casting sparks controversy Best of SNO - Pro-life activists rally against Minnesota abortion legislation Best of SNO - From Mounds View to the MN Supreme Court: Chief Justice Hudson's distinguished career Journalism Day at The Guthrie runner up - ‘Dial M for Murder’ Revitalizes Hitchcock’s Classic at the Guthrie
Donate to The Viewer
$10
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

Comments are meant to convey student opinion and foster discussion on stories. Therefore, comments are expected to be respectful and constructive. Use of profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, or false accusations will not be tolerated, and not printed. The Mounds View Viewer reserves the right to moderate comments before they go online. As such, commentators are required to use their real name and supply a email address. Your email address will not printed; it is only needed for verification purposes.
All The Viewer Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *