57°
Mounds View High School's student news site.

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

The Viewer

D1 recruit Quin Morgan’s path to #1

One of Mounds View’s most accomplished athletes, #1-ranked Quin Morgan describes his path to greatness.
Quin Morgan holds trophy at wrestling tournament
Quin Morgan
Quin Morgan proudly raises his first-place trophy at a recent wrestling tournament.

With over 70 wins so far this season, four-and-a-half star wrestling recruit Quin Morgan dominates the Minnesota high school wrestling scene. Ranked number one in the state for his weight class with consistent first-place tournament wins, it seems that the senior wrestler is unstoppable.

Morgan’s success is only part of the story. The wrestling team is one of the best in the state, currently ranked number two in the Class AAA division. Recently, they have dominated their opponents by going 55-12 against Woodbury, 66-3 against Cretin and 57-6 against Faribault. 

While these triumphs were a team effort, Morgan plays a large role in the team’s continued success. Morgan recently secured a team win by taking the championship at the Rumble on the Red tournament in Fargo, North Dakota during winter break. “Winning the Christmas Tournament and Rumble on the Red were really cool, not only as an individual champ but as team champs as well,” said Morgan.

Stemming from childhood, Morgan’s passion for wrestling has endured for over 15 years. Although Morgan’s own drive and motivation play a large role in his continuation of the sport, his father is the reason he began wrestling in the first place. “My Dad wrestled in college for the University of Minnesota; he’s the one who got me into it ever since I was a kid,” said Morgan. 

Quin Morgan

Those who know Morgan can testify to his near-obsession with wrestling and his determination to be the best. “It takes a lot of time and energy to be a wrestler and spending hours upon hours a week just to get where I want to be,” said Morgan.

From winning 4th place at Sections in eighth grade to qualifying for state his freshman year, it may not seem like adversity has characterized Morgan’s wrestling journey. However, there are times when matches or tournaments don’t pan out as planned, and Morgan uses those mishaps to fuel his motivation for growth. “My sophomore year at state I got pinned with short time left after being up 10-4. That started my mental drive to become the best wrestler I could be,” said Morgan.

It’s clear that Morgan has a deep passion for wrestling, and he will continue to pursue this passion in college. Committed to South Dakota State University as a D1 athlete, he looks forward to the higher level of competition. “My goal at SDSU is to become the best wrestler of my ability,” said Morgan.

About the Contributor
Elijah Mattfield
Elijah Mattfield, Staff Reporter
Elijah is a junior staff reporter, and this year is his first year on The Viewer.
$10
$1000